From the 17th century the area of today's Square Jean XXIII used to host the Archbishop Palace and the garden. It existed until 1831, when it was pillaged and vandalised by rioters. Thirteen years later Comte de Rambuteau, the prefect of Paris, has laid out the square here, which was later named after Pope John XXIII (1958-63).
Fountain of the Virgin, built in Neo-Gothic style, was designed by the architect Vigoreux in 1845.
The bust of Carlo Goldoni (1707-1793), famous Venetian play writer, often considered the “father of Italian comedy”, was created by Eduardo Frotini.
The park is shaded by numerous lime trees and elms. A great view over the flying buttresses of the Notre-Dame opens from here.